Anaconda American Brass Limited
Click on the Photos for Full Screen Mode
Before it was acquired by the well-known Anaconda Brass, the site was formerly known as JF Brown’s Copper and Brass Rolling Mills that appeared in the industrial scene as early as 1919. Brown, together with Reg N. Boxer and Ritchie and Ramsay (Ritchie and Ramsey Paper Mills) enlarged the pump house by the lake, creating the New Toronto Water Supply. The company was then acquired by the Anaconda American Brass on August 19, 1922 and continued to use this name for more than 65 years.
The trade name “Anaconda” was known all over the world in producing products made of copper, brass, nickel, and silver. The manufacturing company is easily recognized for its arrow tip symbol.
It was not until November of 1928 that the officials of the company decided to make New Toronto the permanent home of the company and started to acquire buildings and property. Since then, there had been tremendous strides in business and factory expansion. The plant was at that time acknowledged for being the most modern of its kind and a major industry in the town that employed hundreds of workers.
Being identified as an American brand, it had come out with a policy to support the Canadian industry by purchasing within the country whenever possible even at an extra cost. It was also known for being community-minded by helping to pave the streets, providing new fire trucks and sewers, and by building public spaces such as ice arena and swimming pool. By 1967, the company had hired 1400 employees where its top positions were held by Canadian citizens.
In its last few years of operations, the name changed to Arrowhead Metals. The plant closed down in 1989.
Today, most of the land that previously covered this industrial brass empire from 13th to 8th street has become an empty lot and is currently available for sale.