Canadian Wallpaper Manufacturing Limited
Click on the Photos for Full Screen Mode
Boxer Building started as the McDonald’s Stamping Work in 1889. By 1896, the place was then occupied by the Grocer Manufacturing Company and subsequently, Imperial Soap Company.
The wallpaper company did not take over the building until Robert Menzie purchased the property in the 1900s.
Later on, the town was called the “New Toronto World Centre for Wallpaper”. The industrial town was known to have the earliest and the largest wallpaper factory in America. Moreover, the Menzies’ Wallpaper Factory’s was so old that history mentions it was even lit by oil lanterns.
In about 1903, the establishment was purchased by Reg N. Boxer and subsequently became Canadian Wallpaper Manufacturing Limited (CWM).
In 1946, CWM’s colour department became a separate entity and became the “Dominion Colour Corporation” that supplied inks to many industries other than wallpaper.
The company had always been proud to show the skills and abilities of men and women of New Toronto, who worked at the factory.In addition, the factory exported the works of New Toronto craftsmen to Canada and even to other countries around the world.
In 1963, CWM paid an annual salary of almost $2,000,000.00 to its employees, while its complex and ultra-modern machinery helped turn out some of the highest quality wallpaper in the world.
In 1975, CWM was acquired by Reed International Ltd., and later in 1978, the factory subsequently moved to Brampton.
As of 2001, the building was owned by Noma Company. In April 2002, the "Boxer Building", was selected as an historical building under the Ontario Heritage Act. It is recognized as the oldest surviving industrial building in New Toronto.